My little online store is very close to being ready to open and I have to say that I think Dan has made it look really good! Although I had my Etsy shop before and now have been using Facebook, what I have really wanted to do was have a little online store of my own. I know that I won’t get the traffic that I was getting with Etsy after having been there for a while so I have been brainstorming with a few ways that I can sort of promote my shop. Which is when I decided to ask you, my dear readers (lots of whom are my friends), a few questions. I would love it if you wouldn’t mind giving your opinions.
- I plan to link my shop to my blog of course as I think that is pretty common and makes sense. However, I don’t plan or want my blog to be my place of promoting my stuff and trying to get people to buy from my store. Having said that though, I have been tossing around the idea of over the next months, probably once a month or so, featuring something that I make and writing a little about it. For example, maybe I would write about the birthday banners that I make…why I make them, what they are made from and why they are special. And then I have been considering that perhaps with the feature, I would do a related give-away. As readers of my blog, does that seem like a good idea to you or would that be an annoying promotion of my shop to you?
- Because I only have so many readers of my blog, I know that I can only tell so many people about my store. Frankly, I can’t handle a ton of business right now because I only have so much time, but the amount that I was getting from Etsy was about right. Would any of you who have your own blogs be interested/willing in doing a little feature on your blog about my shop in the next few months? Especially, if you have some of things that I have made, I think that would be really great. I’ll just be honest and say that I can’t really offer any incentive other than my gratitude at this point:). I would indeed be grateful though!
- Do you have any suggestions as to ways that I could do some promoting without just telling my friends and people who know me the same things that they have heard?
As you may have gathered, this is not something that I feel super confident in. I mean, I am fairly confident in my confident moments that the things that I make are unique and quality made and are worth selling. I am just not so much a salesperson of myself and I don’t want to get on peoples nerves. Again, I would so appreciate your thoughts! So comment away!!
Edit: I am re-posting this because half of the comments are my own:) and I am still hoping (begging:) for some more thoughts/opinions.
Missy, I think it would be great if you highlighted some of your products on your blog every month or so. And I don’t exactly have a ton of readers myself, but I’d be happy to post about Chickadee Swing for you.
That would be great Charisa, thank you.
Yes highlight your items on your blog! I would LOVE to advertise for you on my blog though in all relaity i get very little traffic, but the more links you have to your website the higher up you will get on the search engines.The way that matt promotes traffic to his website is that he does google ad words… but in order to really advertise you have to put money out there… it has been worth it for us, it may be worth it for you… something to look into.
Thanks Kristin, I think the google ads are probably a good idea…but I don’t feel like I am quite there yet:).I would so appreciate if you wrote about my shop…actually, I have been thinking how happy you were with the finger puppets and how you would be perfect for a meaningful little ‘review’ for my finger puppets feature!
I will definitely write a little blurb on your blog, as I know that I have some people that may not have been formerly introduced to chickadee swing before and they get notified when I write (which is every 6 months or so 🙂
That would be great Dana….but I love it when you write so maybe you should write an update soon!:)
I think it is a good idea to write an occasional post on your creative gifts:) I would do a feature on creativity and mention your shop along with a couple others. Just keep me posted when it is ready. How exciting for you!:)
Thanks Kmarie, I will definitely keep you posted:).
I love the idea of a monthly feature! 🙂 I’ve been thinking about doing a post on being a “Mompreneur” lately, and if I get it written I will definitely mention your store and the great experiences I’ve had with your product (BTW, Ana needs another Christmas dress, and I’d like to get James a matching or coordinating bow tie!)
Is there a local store or something that would be willing to sell some of your smaller items (like the bows or finger puppets) with some nice, small Chickadee Swing signage/tags that would direct folks to the website? Any local craft fairs you could make an appearance at, maybe sharing a table with someone?
I would be happy to make her a dress…just let me know what you have in mind!Next summer, I hope to see some of my stuff in some of the little shops in town…but the town basically dies down for the winter (it is very much a tourist town).
I do plan to do a couple of Christmas fairs so that will help get my name out a bit locally. And then there will also be Farmers Market next year, if I can swing it with three little ones in tow:)
Thanks for your suggestions and I would so appreciate it if you mentioned my store:)
Yup. Love it. Would love to. Yay Chickadee!
Hey Missy, I can actually say that I have more than a dozen readers. Yay! And I’d be happy to do a little promo for you, but it will have to wait ’til November 🙂
That would be great Beth! And November would actually be perfect.
1. I don’t think it would be annoying! I like hearing about what you make!2. I would definitely share about your shop on my blog! Even a guest post, if you’d like! I don’t get much traffic these days, but you can try it anyway.
3. There are always things like Google AdWords or little side ads on other people’s blogs, but I don’t know how much those cost to post and I don’t know how much traffic those generate. But if you made up a little button advertisement, I would be willing to post it on the side of my blog and I’m sure you have other friends who would do that too.
Thanks Jamie, a guest post might be kind of fun:). Maybe once I should look into the little button advertisements. Do you tend to click on them?